Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Warning, political discussion

So I'm going to state my political position publicly, which leaves me open to comments and criticism, but I don't care. Why now? Because after yesterday's primaries, it's obvious that for the first time since I moved to Texas, my vote in the state primary will actually mean something.

I've spent a long time thinking about whom I'll support, and it wasn't an easy decision. I'm going to vote for Obama. I like his message, and I like his enthusiasm. I think he'll be a good president. But mainly, I think he's the most electable. And dammit, we need to elect someone. Democrats have too great a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and I don't want to see it happen again this year.

I like Hillary Clinton. I think she's smart. I think she's hard-working. From everything I've read, she's done an excellent job as senator. But the problem is the right's rabid dislike of her. If she's the Democratic candidate, the members of the vast right-wing conspiracy will turn out full force to defeat her; they won't be voting for a Republican candidate, they'll be voting against Hillary. It'll make the voter turnout against the gay marriage ammendments in 2004 look like child's play. Because of the right's hatred of her, I don't think she'll be able to pull the swing voters necessary to win.

It's funny, I didn't understand the right's hatred of the Clintons until Bush had been in office about a year or so. Now I get it. If he were running again (god forbid), I'd vote for whomever the Dems ran against him in the hopes of getting rid of him. I suppose that's why I think Obama is the more electable candidate.

Obama has enough cross-over appeal to pull swing voters, and he's not threatening enough to pull the right wingers to the polls, especially if McCain is the Republican candidate. McCain is moderate enough that the religious right will probably stay home rather than vote for him. At least I hope that's the case.

Still, I'm a bit sad that I'm making this choice. Ella asked me the other night whether we've ever had a woman president, and when I said no, she asked why not. I didn't have a very good answer for her, especially when I started listing the countries that have had women leaders. With any luck, by the time my daughters are adults with daughters of their own, they'll be able to give a different answer than I did.

The one positive note in all of this is that for the first time in decades, the Democrats have two strong candidates to choose from. It's about time it happened.

4 comments:

ckh said...

It's kind of scary to put it all out there, isn't it? My own husband thinks I'm an idiot because of my choice for president.

hokgardner said...

It is scary. And I don't think you're an idiot at all. It's a tough choice between two excellent candidates.

t. Cooke said...

I am not a Hillary fan. Hillary for years backed the war and said that invading Iraq was "the right thing to do" despite the lies told to make it happen. Look at the money Hillary takes from lobbyist; It's horrible. She's took it TWICE as much as McCain, who took in the 2nd most of the presidential candidates. She also seems over-agressive about Iran, which this makes sense because the defense industry gives her so much money, but I am sick of the warmongering. I was a fan of Bill but right now the country doesn't need another experienced-in-all-the-wrong-ways, war mongering politician. We need some serious change.

Adam said...

Vote fore the "Electable"... whether you think he/she is the best for the job or not... something is questionable to me, in that line of thought

You are right...2 very good candidates... on the dems... personally I would have loved a Condi vs Hillary battle :)

You are also right though.. George needs to go away... :)