Monday, February 11, 2008

Caffeine, wonderful caffeine

Last Thursday I called my neurologist's office to report that her new treatment method of not providing treatment for my migraines wasn't working. I talked with the nurse, who wasn't the regular nurse, and told her that I've been off caffeine for 30 days and following the doctor's recommendation of not using Imitrex more than one day out of seven and taking Advil when I couldn't take Imitrex. She said she'd talk to the doctor and call me back.

Twenty-four hours later she called back to give me the name and number of a different neurologist, one who specializes in pain management. At that point, I got a little hysterical and started ranting about how I didn't feel like Dr. R. was providing treatment and how I might as well be taking Jellybeans for the pain for all the good the Advil was doing me (thanks, Barb, for the analogy).

Well the nurse obviously told the doctor what I'd said, because fifteen minutes later, the doctor was on the phone to talk me down. It didn't go well.

She again asked if I'd consider daily preventive medicine, and I again explained that every time I've taken daily meds, my life has gotten worse, not better. She told me she was at a loss on how to treat my migraines any further and suggested I call the pain management doc and possibly find a new neurologist who was better versed in treating migraines. She offered to call in any and all refills for me - including Imitrex and my pain pills - while I was finding a new doc, and told me I was welcome to take the Imitrex and pain meds as much as needed. WTF? Why did she tell me not to take them, then?

So I think we've agreed to mutually fire each other. And I'll be looking for a new doc.

To "celebrate" I drank a real coke this morning, one with caffeine. I figured that if I can take the meds again, I can have caffeine. The funny thing is, as much as I've craved a real coke during the past month, it didn't taste as good as I expected it to, and I feel rather guilty about giving in on the no-caffeine gig. I've resolved yet again not to have any more caffeine, at least not until the end of lent. Or until my doc gives me permission to have it, whichever comes first.

2 comments:

MadMad said...

FRUSTRATING!!!!

ckh said...

Wimpy doc.

I thought that caffeine HELPED migraines? That's one of the things that I do when I get them, but they're pretty new to me, so I'm definately NOT an expert. Good for you for not just letting the doc exclude you from treatment decisions. It's time for a new one.