Monday, November 12, 2007

Living in the moment

Last spring, one of my best friends forgot to take her camera to parent watching day at ballet. Her daughter's response to the news was something like, "That's OK mom, you can just watch me instead." My friend said it was a very good reminder from her daughter that sometimes she just needs to enjoy the moments instead of worrying so much about documenting them. It was a real "out of the mouths of babes" moment.

After ruining Ella's day off from school by allowing Lily to stay home too, I took all the kids down to the new Town Lake Park for some fun in the fountains. I left my camera at home on purpose. I decided that I would just sit back and enjoy watching the kids playing in the water, and I'm so glad I made that decision. I laughed myself silly watching Campbell trying to figure out how to get the water to come out of the ground, only to get hit in the face by water when it finally popped out. And I probably would have missed the look on his face when he was running through all of the fountains, laughing and screeching, when they all shut off at the same time. He was totally perplexed by what had just happened, and he toddled over to me with his hands out in a "where did it go" sort of gesture.

I loved watching the girls racing around, chasing each other and the water and then trying to lure Campbell into a fountain that was about to go off. They ran and laughed and played the whole time we were there, and I did nothing but watch and laugh and cheer. It's been a rough couple of days around here, and sitting and enjoying my kids was just what my soul needed.

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Don't you just love those sort of days?

Family Adventure said...

A perfect day. I don't need to see pictures - I can imagine your kids from your vivid descriptions.

You are so right about leaving the camera at home some days! A timely reminder for me, too. Thanks :)

Heidi