Thursday, November 08, 2007

Poor, poor mom

My mom loves to knit. As soon as Ella was born, my mom started the tradition of making Christmas sweaters for her. Last year she knit three sweaters, one for each kid. She goes to knitting nights at a local yarn shop, and she went to hear Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot, speak. She's the one who turned me on to knitting socks, basically dragging me to the local yarn store to buy sock wool and needles. She gave me one of Pearl-McPhee's books to inspire me. Because of mom, I'm in the process of knitting my third pair of socks.

But now she can't knit. Last week her hand and wrist started to hurt while she was knitting. So she took a few days off and organized her stash and took pictures of her yarn and her projects and posted them all to Flikr. She posted a question about pain while knitting on a yahoo group she's a member of and got lots of responses telling her to rest for another week or so. After a week she gave up and went to the hand doctor. The diagnosis: arthritis. The prescription: six weeks of rest. If that doesn't work, she'll have a cortisone shot into the joint. And if that doesn't work, surgery.

She's devastated at the thought of not being able to knit for the next six weeks. Mom is sending me several Christmas presents she had in progress so that I can finish them for her. One of the projects is my own present from her. The other is for my sister, and since I know she doesn't read my blog I'm safe mentioning it.

So all you knitters out there who read the blog, please send my mom healing vibes. She needs the help!

2 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Oh, wow! I've actually been in a similar situation, My mother is also the Queen of Knitting. She makes beautiful Norwegian wool sweaters for her five grandsons on a rotating basis. However, a few years ago she was diagnosed with severe tendonitis, and was unable to knit for many months.
But this is where our stories differ - I cannot knit to save a life, so I could not help whatsoever. Plus, tendonitis is not a permanent condition, such as arthritis, although it has come back a few times.

I hope your mother gets better! Well enough that she'll be able to continue her knitting! In the meantime, good luck to you trying to take over!

Heidi

MadMad said...

Oh, my God! Poor thing! I think about this all the time: what if I couldn't knit?! There couldn't be a worse punishment. Aw, poor thing. I hope she feels better soon! Tell her not to push things (easy for me to say, because I SO would!) and to wait till she's all better before knitting again, because she doesn't want to mess things up worse.

And good luck to you taking over for her - I'm sure she appreciates it!