Wednesday, November 14, 2007

At least as smart as the dog

My dad was asking me all sorts of questions about Campbell the other day - like does he say any words, how much is he walking, what does he do, etc. I told dad that Campbell knows who everyone in the house is, gives kisses on command, and knows what "no" means. But when I told dad that Campbell bolts for the front door anytime anyone says the word "outside," dad's response was, "Well, he's at least as smart as the dog." I was offended until I realized dad was right.

Campbell knows who we all are and he responds to certain words - like outside, milk, yucky, no, ball, and down - just like our dog.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the common sense that our dog does. If she does something and gets hurt, she doesn't do it again. I can't say the same for Campbell. Today, Campbell stood up facing backwards on one of the chairs in Lily's classroom. As the teacher and another mother reached for him in slow motion, the chair and Campbell fell over, leaving him with a large bump on his forehead. I held him and apoligized for not paying more attention and cried a little bit until he stopped screaming and started wiggling to get down. What did he do as soon as I put him down? He headed right back to the chair and climbed up in it. I grabbed him, kissed Lily good-bye and headed out the door. I didn't need a repeat of the tumble.

I guess I should be happy that Campbell is at least as smart as Mollie-dog; she's a pretty smart dog. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be selectively obedient, which is what she is.

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

It is so hard to function as a normal human being with a kid that age in tow, isn't it? They always do something to make you look like an incompetent boob.

The Kretzings said...

He's smarter than the dog and more determined too. What's that maxim we should all follow?: It at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Maybe that's what these little toddlers are doing when they head right back to the thing that caused them injury in the first place. :)

Family Adventure said...

That's too funny, that your dad compared him to the dog! I hope he was kidding?!

Heidi

hokgardner said...

Yes, he was kidding. Mom even called to make sure I knew dad was kidding. Fortunately, I've known dad long enough to get his odd sense of humor. He's the reason I have such a strange one.