Monday, March 16, 2009

Ah, spring break

The kids started spring break today, and I couldn't be happier. We don't have any plans for the week, except for the San Antonio Zoo tomorrow, and that's just fine with me.

The morning routine had descended into pure chaos the last few weeks, especially with the start of DST. Most mornings I was having to drag the girls out of bed by their feet and propel them into the kitchen to eat. I also found myself yelling things like, "I don't care if your socks feel 'weird,' brush your teeth now!" It wasn't a fun way to start the day for anyone around here.

The after school rush had gotten hard, too. On Mondays Lily has ballet right after school, so I would have to shove a snack in her while cramming her into her leotard and tights so that we could sprint downtown and find parking. Ella has rock climbing practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so she was always getting home after the rest of us had eaten dinner. Bedtimes on those nights are particularly hard, and Ella always wakes up cranky the next morning.

But this week we don't have to be out of bed at any certain time, we don't have to rush out the door in the mornings, and we don't have any after-school activities. Bliss. Plus, after a week of rain, the weather has turned lovely, which means I can shove the kids into the back yard to play when they get on my nerves.

We all needed this week of nothingness.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

that's great! We have our spring break next week and i'm looking forward to not doing the morning routine for sure--Ethan and James are so cranky in the mornings! I just hope they don't get too bored, or things will get crazy. :)

bernthis said...

I knew I was losing my mind when I preferred having to entertain my daughter all day and not going to school then having the day to myself but having to get up at 7am