Monday, June 18, 2007

Willpower wins out

Anyone who reads this knows I'm very frustrated with my lack of running these days. I had hoped to be back in decent shape before the summer heat and humidity kicked it. But that didn't happen, and now running sucks. Campbell's still not sleeping all the way through the night, so it is really hard to drag my butt out of bed at 5:00 to meet the group when I just fell back asleep an hour earlier. But this morning I made myself get up. There's never going to be the "perfect" time to start back running on a regular basis, so I just have to suck it up and get out of bed and hit the trail.

I surprised everyone this morning by showing up for the first time on a Monday in more than a year. I am glad I made the effort. The run itself was horrible, but I got to run with Jen, which made up for the awfullness. For about a year, I ran with Jen at least two mornings a week, and she is my ideal running partner. She starts out slowly and warms up into the run. She's usually pretty cheerful, and she can keep up a good stream of conversation about whatever. Plus she doesn't get upset when I wimp out and need to walk for a few minutes. I had a good run with her. And if she hadn't been there this morning, I would have been trailing WAY behind Liz, Wendy and Daryl, who bolted at the start. I would have never been able to catch them, and if I had, I wouldn't have been able to hold the pace for very long. Instead of feeling discouraged by not being able to keep up, I ended the run feeling pretty good about myself and the world in general.

Thanks Jen!

No comments: