Saturday, June 16, 2007

On Earth as it is in Austin

Despite being exhausted from being alone with the kids since Wednesday, I ended up having a pretty good day. We went to a birthday party in the morning, and I got to visit with some friends I haven't seen in a while. Then we went to dinner at Central Market with Heidi, Matilda and William, and it was a great way to end the day. I had considered taking the kids to see bike races downtown, but I decided that was a disaster waiting to happen. Central Market was a much saner choice.

The weather was great: cool and not too humid. The kids ran around on the playground and got nice and worn out. Campbell hung out in his stroller and watched the fun. Everyone behaved during dinner and then played on the playground a little longer. As we were finishing up a band was starting to play, and the place was packed with families and little kids running around. I watched all the commotion and just felt so glad to be in Austin. I'm sure other towns have things like Central Market, but I think places like that are harder to come by in big cities. Plus I ran into two friends while we were there - I know my parents never go to restaurants in Atlanta and just bump into people they know. Well there was the time my sister literally ran into David Justice and Halle Berry, but that's a story for another time.

Overall, it was just a great night to be living in Austin, Texas. Now, if I can only get all three kids to go to sleep - including the one who is sitting on my lap, reading this as I type and giggling.

No comments: