Monday, June 11, 2007

The "mom" voice

Saturday I was at the Danskin site for an hour or so, taking care of a few things on my list. I had the kids with me, and they were well behaved, for the most part. But at one point, I was up in the back of the supply truck digging around for some things and looked up to see Ella and Lily almost dump Campbell on his head out of the jogger. I yelled, "Girls, stop it!" Then I heard a very small voice say, "Yes m'am?" I turned to see two youngish volunteers, girls in their early 20s, frozen in front of me with startled looks. They had thought I was yelling at them, not my children. We all had a good laugh about how they still react to a "mom" voice, but then I got a little depressed. I'm old enough that two girls in their 20s think I could be their mom. Granted, I'd have been a teen mother, but still . . . I'm not going to be able to make that claim for very long.

The funny thing is that I've been struggling with Ella's lack of respect for me lately - she doesn't even flinch when I pull out my best "mom" voice. I've been saying I'd like to be able to strike a tiny bit of fear in her, but it hasn't happened yet. But there I was on Saturday, terrorizing grown-ups.

No comments: