Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Summer is here

And it's a little early. Yesterday's high was around 100 degrees, depending on which local news report you believe. It was a record-breaker any way you looked at it. The temperatures are a good 10 degrees higher than normal for early June, which doesn't bode well for the summer ahead. Sigh.

I HATE summers in Austin. Even though this is my 14th summer here (I can't believe I've lived here that long), I still haven't adapted to the heat and humidity. By the time August rolls around, the tempteratures will stay in the high 90s long after the sun sets.

So I'm stocking up on my outdoor time now, while I can. Last night, after the kids were in bed, I sat on the front porch and enjoyed the relatively balmy 80 degree weather. I listened to a podcast on my iPod and just watched the world go by, ignoring the laundry and paying work that were waiting inside.

This morning, I was early for an appointment, so I stopped at a hip coffee joint on South Congress Avenue and drank some iced tea while I checked e-mail and caught up on the headlines. The weather was perfect, but I could tell it wouldn't last long. By the time I walked to Ella's school to meet her for lunch, I was regretting my decision to not drive.

I am not looking forward to this weekend. The weather forcast is the same - hot, humid, no rain in sight. This weekend is the Danskin Triathlon, and I'm working on the race for the 10th year, and probably last, year. I've told the race director that I can only be at the site on Friday for the site build and Sunday for the actual race, but I'll probably still end up out there on Saturday for some reason or another. At least the site is at Decker Lake, so I can jump in the water to cool off if I need. But on race day we're going to have the racers drop like flies in the final hours. Some of the women are out there for three or more hours, and it will be HOT by then. I plan to spend as much time as I can in the medical tent in front of one of the cooling fans.

For the rest of the summer, I'll either be hiding inside and letting the kids vegetate in front of the TV or floating in our neighborhood pool. Anything to escape the heat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I hear ya, girl. That's why I scheduled Jet's swim lessons for 9:00-9:30 in the morning. It's plenty hot by the time we get home, but at least it's not completely unbearable.

I've been wanting to tell you, also, that I really appreciate your first post about finding out you are pg. I'm feeling the same way, and it's nice to know I'm not completely alone... I'm doing better now, but still not as excited as I was when we found out about Jet.

The Kretzings said...

It's way too early for it to be that hot. I'm sure it's hard being pregnant when the temps are high. Hang in there!

They've forecast summer temps for us here in the NE for this weekend. Yuck.