Sunday, June 22, 2008

Knitting progress

I'm doing pretty well on sticking to my summer resolutions, and as a result I'm feeling a bit less harried. E-mail is still my downfall - I'm checking it far more often than I should, but I'm not answering work-related e-mails except during my work hours, which I view as progress.

Because I'm making myself slow down, I've found more time to knit. I finally finished the stripey socks I started for Lily back in March when I flew to New York for my grandmother's memorial service. I had finished the first sock pretty quickly, but the second had languished on the needles. Lily would cast longing looks at my knitting bag on a regular basis and ask when her socks would be finished. I finished the second sock after she had gone to bed, so I left them out where she would find them as soon as she got up in the morning. She was so thrilled that she had to model them for me.

My mother sent me this Flat Feet yarn a few weeks ago, and I've been desperate to start knitting on it. You knit the yarn by just unraveling it as you go. The colors are hand-painted, so no two swatches are the same, and you don't know what your socks are going to look like until you knit them. I started knitting on this as soon as I finished Lily's socks even though Ella is technically next in line for stripey socks. When I told her I was knitting socks for myself, she asked, "Hey! Why do you get to cut in line?" I told her that the knitter always has the right to cut in line and if she wanted socks she should learn to knit them. She didn't like that answer.

I absolutely lurv how the colors are coming out in the socks. I refer to them as my sherbert socks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks are awesome! I'm totally impressed... (of course, I don't knit, but it's not for lack of trying. It's more for lack of PATIENCE.)

hokgardner said...

I find that knitting gives me patience. It's the only time during my day that I sit still - having a fistfull of pointy needles that I have to keep track of makes me less likely to jump up and empty the dryer or load the dishwasher.

Anonymous said...

oooh that wool is gorgeous, and those socks were well worth waiting for

Anonymous said...

Now that's clever. Ive been known to crochet on occasion and the yarn always gets all tangled. It's probably easier to store that way too.