Saturday, January 13, 2007

Winter weather

You would think that we were expecting a blizzard the way people were behaving at the grocery store this afternoon. I went in to do my normal weekend shopping, prepared for the same-old quiet store I always shop at. Instead, it was a madhouse, with people desperately snapping up whatever foodstuffs they could get their hands on.

The weather people are all having a field day, predicting "winter precipitation" for the next few days. That means we could see a little freezing rain, a little sleet, a little snow - the emphasis in all cases on "little." Overpasses and bridges might freeze over - maybe. But that's about it. It's not like we're going to get a foot of snow over the next 24 hours like the folks in Colorado have had multiple times in the past month. Folks up north must laugh at us.

But back to the store - I have never seen that many people at our little HEB, not even on the day before Thanksgiving. And they were buying the strangest stuff. I could understand the bread shelves being empty, but all the toilet paper was gone, too. Fortunately, I didn't need to buy any. The beer supply was very limited, but there was tons of milk available. And for some reason, cheese was very popular.

I laid in a good supply of stew and soup-making supplies, along with beer and wine and lots of milk. I'm rather looking forward to the possibility of inclement weather. Brandon won't be able to work, and we'll be able to hole up here for a few days of concentrated family fun. Plus, the girls would love to see even the smallest amount of snow. I'm even going to try to sneak a run in, despite the frigid temperatures. I'll need to escape in some way.

So. . . let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Please.

No comments: