Monday, January 22, 2007

Regression

You'd think that on baby number 3 I'd have everything figured out. You'd think wrong. I'm a wreck right now. Campbell has totally regressed, sleep-wise. At 2 1/2 months he was falling asleep on his own and waking up at midnight and five, which I consider pretty much sleep through the night. Then in the past few weeks it's all gone to hell.

Two weeks ago, for several nights in a row, he woke up every hour to hour-and-a-half. I was exhausted; it felt like I was back in the newborn stage of motherhood. We recovered from that, but then last week Campbell got his four-month shots, and he went back to waking up every two to three hours through the night. Plus, he won't go to sleep on his own anymore. I have to walk him until he conks out. If he wakes up when I put him in his crib, I have to start all over again.

So now I'm totally freaked out by this. Neither Ella nor Lily did this. Ella never slept; Lily slept like a champ. But they didn't go back and forth between sleeping and not sleeping.

I know that I can do the Ferber method, and it will work after a few miserable days. I did it with both girls, and we all survived. Although Brandon did have to make me sit in the far corner of the back yard when we did it with Ella. I couldn't hear the crying as well back there. I know it will work, and I know it won't damage Campbell. I know all this. But at the same time I'm loathe to do it - he's still so little. I think I'm willing to walk him to sleep for the next month or two - just until he gets a little older. But then I worry that I'm setting myself up for an even harder time when I do decide to Ferberizer him.

So much to worry about. I was sure that with number 3 I'd sail right through, no worries at all. Just goes to show that it's always something. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions. . .

No comments: