Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm in love

It's happened; I don't know how, I don't know when, but I've fallen in love - with my son. Don't get me wrong - I loved him from the moment I knew I was pregnant, from the moment they put him in my arms. But it was a maternal, I'll rip your arm off and beat you with it if you harm him-kind of love. Now I'm IN love with Campbell. Friends who have sons told me that it's different with a baby boy, and I didn't really believe them. Now I do.

Part of it could be that Campbell's little personality is starting to show, and he's already a flirt and a charmer. When you smile at him, he waits a second or two before smiling back. He also bats his big blue eyes and shows his dimpled cheeks. It's like he already knows how to charm everyone he sees. When he's happy, he lets out the funniest little yell, and he's finally started really laughing - it's a deep chuckle that cracks me up every time.

Now that his coordination is kicking in, Campbell has started reaching for me. He usually manages to punch rather than pat me, but I know his intentions are good. He also opens his mouth to give kisses when I put my face near his. He does it for his sisters, too. But they don't like getting drooled on. I can't wait until he can give real kisses and hugs and snuggles.

But Campbell isn't all sweet. He has a little temper these days, too. When I don't move fast enough during diaper changes or if I pull him out of the bath before he's ready, he'll start crying. But it's not a hurt or sad cry, it's a mad one. There are no tears, and he'll pause between yells to see what effect his crying is having on me. I just laugh at him, which doesn't help.

When Ella was six months old, my Aunt Jane told me that every stage of baby and childhood get better and better. I didn't believe her at the time, but it turned out she's right. Ella is so much fun as a six-year-old, and Lily is a hoot these days. Campbell keeps getting more fun each day, too. Aside from the temper tantrums and 4:30 p.m. house-wide meltdowns, I'm enjoying all of my kids, especially now that I'm in love with all three of them.

1 comment:

t. Cooke said...

Very sweet entry. Save this. I hope you can write the same when they're all teenagers!!!