Monday, February 01, 2010

One of those days

By 2:00 Saturday afternoon, I had called it quits for the day and gone back to bed.

The day had started well enough. I made it down to the Trail for part of a run with the group. I couldn't keep up with their pace, so after about a mile and a half I turned off to do my own thing. It was a solid run at a good pace with some hills thrown in for fun. I went home feeling pleased with myself and the world in general, especially after a long, hot shower to thaw out from running in the cold.

I managed to get an hour's nap in while Elizabeth slept and the big three were with my mother-in-law.

But then things started going wrong.

My mother-in-law was supposed to have Ella home by 1:00 for a science fair work session, but she was late. I'm phobic about being late, so when they pulled in at 1:15, I grabbed Ella and threw her in the car. And promptly backed into my neighbor's car.

She has parked her car in the street across from our driveway forever. B and I have joked about how it was only a matter of time before one of us hit her car. I just wish it hadn't been me.

I pulled over and went to their door to fess up to what I'd done. The boy-neighbor probably thinks I'm the biggest doofus ever. I was so flustered I could barely get a complete sentence out. I tried to explain that I was running late and asked if I could bring over my insurance information when I got home. He laughed and said it was fine given that he knew where I lived. I let out a nervous giggle at that.

Before I dropped Ella off at her work session, I had to stop at the neighborhood store to pick up some of her supplies. As we were dashing through the aisles, I turned around quickly and smacked Ella square in the nose. She reeled back with her hands across her face; I wanted to cry.

I dropped Ella off at her science fair project partner's house and drove very carefully back home, afraid that something else would go wrong, because bad things always happen in threes.

When I got to the house, I wrote down all my insurance information and headed across the street. The girl-neighbor, who owns the car I hit, came out front as I walked over. I showed her the ding on the car I caused and handed over my info. She, the wonderful person she is, said that she wasn't going to file a claim because the car already has dings and dents on it, adding that she's only driving it until she can afford a new one. I wanted to hug her, but I don't know her very well, and I was afraid she'd think I was odder than she already did.

So I skulked home and climbed into bed before anything else could go wrong for the day.


DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

It is amazing that when things go wrong, they do snowball. Thank goodness for the happy ending.

knittergran said...

There is an old expression that proves true: Go slower (ok, more slowly); you'll get there faster.

calicobebop said...

Bless your heart! I hope things begin to look up!

Becca said...

oy, that did suck.

Baino said...

What a shocker. And total proof that things happen in threes .. .you're safe for a while now! I'm quite expert at backing into inanimate objects, the last was a mini skip and the ding is still in the corolla!