Thursday, May 08, 2008

Love Thursday

I love this picture. It's my parents on their wedding day with my dad's mother and step-father. I swiped this copy of the picture from an album in my grandparents' house when I was there for my grandmother's memorial service and carried it home in my knitting bag so nothing would happen to it.

My parents basically eloped, if you can call telling people you're getting married ahead of time an elopement. They got married at St. Peter's in Albany by the Reverend Dr. Bruner, and Dr. Bruner's son Jeff was my dad's best man. My dad and Jeff had grown up as neighbors and close friends all their lives.

My favorite part of the story was that my grandfather was down shoveling snow off the pond when one of my dad's younger brothers ran down to tell him about the upcoming wedding. My grandfather didn't even need to change clothes before going to the church - he had been shoveling snow dressed in a tie and jacket.
After the ceremony, attended by my grandparents and several of my dad's younger brothers, everyone went back to my grandparents' house and cake and champagne. That's when this picture was taken.
They all look so young - my parents were 22 and 23 - and happy. You can't see it in this picture, but my mom's dress was very mini; I doubt it reached to the tip of her fingers when she held her arms down. It was pink and the belt was purple.
Despite its rather hasty beginning, my parents' marriage has endured; they celebrated their 38th anniversary back in December.

2 comments:

Seamus O'Pine said...

Your mom is hot.

Anonymous said...

What a great story. My parents were a bit younger, 20, but it happened slightly less quickly than your parents - my dad was going to be home on leave from the Navy, and my mom asked what he wanted for Christmas. He said he wanted to get married. So a couple of weeks later they got married in the local church, and then came home for a teeny reception afterwards. I love those kinds of stories.

And O'pine is right, your mom IS hot.