Thursday, May 22, 2008

What were you thinking? Part 357

Last night, at about 8:30, I was working in my office and heard an odd noise from the kitchen. B was out in the garage, so I knew it wasn't him. I went around the corner to find Ella standing on the kitchen counter, reaching for the candy bowl, which is up on a high shelf. She froze like a deer in headlights when she saw me, then hopped off the counter.

When I asked what she was doing, she pursed her lips and wouldn't look at me. I asked several more times and didn't get any answer, at least not until I threatened her with being grounded after school today. She then fessed up that she was getting bubble gum for Lily.

Now usually it's Ella who gets Lily to go on stupid errands that she knows will probably get one of them in trouble - like coming out of their room after bedtime to ask some silly question. So I was stunned that Lily had conned Ella into doing something wrong.

I chased Ella back into bed, then went in and sat next to Lily, who had her covers pulled up to her eyeballs. When I asked her if she had sent her sister for bubble gum, she slowly nodded yes. I reminded her that a. bubble gum is a special treat, and b. she's definitely not allowed to have it in bed.

I then lectured both of them on the foolishness of this stunt and threatened both with grounding after school if they popped out of bed again for anything other than going to the bathroom. Amazingly, despite earlier claims of not being able to fall asleep, they were both out like lights when I went in to check on them five minutes later.

Sheesh. What will they think of next?

1 comment:

knittergran said...

What surprises me is that Ella really, really tried not to rat out Lily!