Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I am too old for this!

Last week my right ear started bothering me. It was plugged up and causing some mild vertigo, so I started taking Sudafed, which usually does the trick when this happens. Not this time.

My ear felt worse and worse over the course of the weekend and my left ear starting hurting in sympathy, so yesterday I called my OB's office to see if they could help. After getting a lecture from the appointment secretary about how I really need to have a GP, she scheduled an appointment for me with one of the nurse practitioners yesterday afternoon.

It turns out that if you want to entertain medical staff at an OB's office, go in with an ear ache. Two nurse practitioners and one medical assistant took turns looking in my ears, which hurt a lot.

The verdict? Two ear infections, one possibly ruptured ear drum (which would explain why I can't really hear out of my right ear), and a possible sinus infection. After three more lectures on finding a GP, they turned me loose with a prescription for antibiotics.

Our pharmacists laughed at me when I went in the prescription. They both said they rarely if ever see adults with ear infections.

When I got home and told B the diagnosis, he said, "Way to take care of the problem before it got worse!" Then he laughed. I decided not to point out how often he does things like this.

I don't remember having ear infections as a kid, other than the rare case of swimmer's ear. And Ella is the only one of my kids who has ever had an ear infection. So how do I get one as an adult? I'm stumped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't this make you crazy! Since I had my son, I have had pink eye, an ear infection, strep throat, impetigo. Other than strep throat, I didn't have any of these things as a child. I think I just randomly pick them up from day care. I'm sure your immune system is on overload right now as it is. And that ear infection hurt like hell! Get some of those homeopathic ear relief drops! I hope the antibiotics work quickly.

Barb Matijevich said...

I had strep throat and an ear infection as an adult, too. I was actually just really glad I'd already had mono.

In a big funk here, too, and I'm not even pregnant. But I'll tell you something, H., my friend with four say that they just kind of DO IT. It just sort of happens and it sorts itself out. You're a great mom--maybe you shouldn't beat yourself up over your performance as a mother of four until the fourth one gets here? Because, H.? My money is on you.

I wish I was still in Austin because I would SO help.