Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Change of Plans

I had my whole morning planned today, and nothing went according to my plan.

I've given up on running at the crack of dawn for the time being. Campbell's sleep schedule just doesn't fit with my getting up early. He wakes up to eat between 4:00 and 4:30. I don't want to go running that early, and I don't want to go back to sleep only to wake up at 5:30 to run. I have to get Ella up at 6:40, so I can't go at 6:00ish. I've been able to run at 9:15, after I drop Lily off at preschool. Campbell usually falls asleep in the car on the way home, so I park him with Brandon and head out the door. That was my plan for the morning.

But when I walked in, Brandon was on his way out to a meeting. Sigh. So I figured I'd take a nap while Campbell slept. He's been waking up a lot at night, and I could use an hour or two of shut-eye. Instead, Campbell woke up and wanted to play.

I was really frustrated for a few minutes. But I stopped myself. I need to remember to enjoy these quiet mornings with Campbell. He's our last baby, and I need to savor the little moments - like having him sit on my lap and talk to me. So instead of trying to get him to sleep, we chatted and played and laughed. After an hour or so, he conked out and I was able to nap.

It turned out to be a good morning, even though it didn't go according to my plans. It was another lesson that a change in plans can be a good thing.

No comments: