Saturday, September 08, 2007

I drank the cool-aid

Thanks to my mother, Barb, and the Yarn Harlot, I've decided to try sock knitting. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about Ella's age, and I messed around with it over the years, never doing anything serious. After Ella was born, I decided to take it up again, and I got really good at baby hats: I knit lots of baby hats. Then when Lily was born I ran out of time to knit baby hats, and packed up my knitting needles on the top shelf of the closet.

My mom has been knitting for ages, making the kids sweaters every year for Christmas. But this summer she decided to knit socks, and she sent me the first pair she knit. They're beautiful. I can't wait for the winter so that I can wear them.

Each time mom comes to town, we have to make a pilgrimage to Hill Country Weavers, a yarn/knitting store on South Congress. We went down yesterday, and I bought some number 2 double-point needles and a skein of sock yarn. Mom gave me a copy of her sock pattern, and I cast on. My goal is to get to the heel, which is where it gets complicated, while my mom is still here so that she can talk me through it.

Here's my first sock after about an hour's worth of knitting.

And here's the sock mom cast on yesterday morning. I have a long way to go.Both yarns are "self striping" so we won't know what the socks will look like until they're done. It's fun to watch the pattern appear as you work.
I've promised B, who's been begging for hand-knit socks for years, that once I get through my first "practice" pair, I'll knit some for him. Maybe I'll actually accomplish that in the next year or so. Every who knits socks says it's addictive. I'm not sure I believe it yet.

2 comments:

The Kretzings said...

Before Andrew was born, I taught myself basic knitting, and now 2 years later, all I have to show for it are a couple of long scarves. I hope to one day take it up again and make something a little more challenging, like socks or a sweater.

The same thing happened with my learning to sew venture: I took some classes, made some nice purses and a pillow, bought a sewing machine, but haven't done anything with it since. Again, I did this right before Andrew was born.

Can't wait to see more of your creations.

Barb Matijevich said...

Dude, I can't explain why sock knitting is so addictive but it jut IS. You'll have to trust me on this one. It sort of sneaks up on you ..it's like you turn your first heel and you feel like the smartest person EVER. Well, maybe with the first one, you feel like you got lucky but by the second one, you are pretty sure you rock.

And it's so portable, I whip out my knitting at all sorts of gatherings or whenever I have to wait in line.

I don't know. I'm not making it sound as fun as it JUST IS. Trust me.