Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Rain, rain go away . . .

First, a note. I learned an important lesson yesterday - I shouldn't mix Sudafed and coffee. When I woke up yesterday morning, my head was completely clogged, so I took one Sudafed, which is half the recommended dose, along with my usual half cup of coffee. I spent most of the morning buzzing around the house like a hummingbird. Twelve hours later, at bed time, I was still wired. My writings yesterday reflect my amped up condition. I'm over all that now, though.

Now on to my real post. I never, ever thought I'd complain about rain in the summer. Usually by this point in the summer I'm bitching and moaning about the heat and drought. I loathe summers here and each year long to be back in Albany, NY, where it's cool and green and lush. By the time August rolls around, I have full-on seasonal depressive disorder. The unending days of white-hot skies and blast oven tempteratures just about push me over the edge.

This year, however, we've had day after day after day of rain. It rained 14 out of 30 days in June, but it seemed like more than that. The lakes are overflowing, the running trail is under water, our yard is a mosquito haven, the kids are all stir crazy from cabin fever. It rained again today - so much so that at one point I almost had to pull off the road because I couldn't see.

Yes, it's much cooler than usual and the ground isn't baked dry. But now it feels like we're living in a swamp. It's cool but so, so humid. I tried to walk around the grounds at Laguna Gloria today with Ella after her art class and was dripping after five minutes. Ick.

When all the rain first started, I promised myself that I wouldn't complain. But here I am, complaining. I think I'm justified at this point, though.

No comments: