Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"Bye-bye Flutter!"

Our callipidder had turned himself into a chrysalis about two weeks ago, and I'd almost given up hope that we were going to get a butterfly out of the deal. Each day we'd check on him, and the girls would ask how much longer it was going to take. I tried to look up information the other night, but for the first time ever, Google failed me. My search led to lots of arts and crafts projects and classroom-style lessons for homeschooling parents. I gave up after half an hour of fruitless clicking.

This morning the little guy was still in his chrysalis, but I happened to look up as I was stirring the girls' lunch and noticed that there was a beautiful butterfly in the little cage. We all were so thrilled. I carried the cage outside very carefully, while the butterfly slowly flapped his wings. They were so beautiful - pale greens and browns with big eye spots. I wanted to take a picture, but my camera would only focus on the mesh of the cage, not the butterfly. I'm sure there's some way to override the auto focus, but I don't know how and I didn't have time to research it.

I opened the little door in the side of the cage, hoping the butterfly would find his way out, and he did as soon as I turned the cage on end so the door was facing up. He poked his head out, Ella announced that his name was Flutter, and he flew off as she shouted good-bye.

It was a really cool little experience, and I'm glad I was able to share it with the girls. And I'm glad the little callipidder didn't die.

No comments: