Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I may have blogged too soon

I've received several e-mails congratulating me on my success with Campbell's sleeping. It turns out I was a tad premature in claiming victory; Campbell has been up partying the last two nights.

Sunday night he woke up at midnight but went right back to sleep after I patted him on the back for a minute. He woke up again at 3 am, and I had to do Ferber for 5 and 10 minutes before he conked out. Then Lily woke up with a wet, leaking pull-up, so I had to clean her up and strip her bed. In the process, Campbell woke up, and I had to start the Ferber routine again. That time I had to go in after 5, 10 and 15 minutes before he fell asleep.

I thought last night would be better because Campbell didn't wake up at midnight like he had the night before. I was wrong; it was much, much worse. He woke up again at 3 and jabbered in his crib for a while. I ignored him until he started crying. I went in and patted him and then waiting another 5 minutes before going back in. He settled down, and I went back to bed thinking he had fallen asleep. But he started jabbering again, and I ignored him until he started crying again. We went through that routine until 5 am - two freaking hours of listening to him alternate between playing and crying. I was ready to cry.

So who knows what tonight holds. I am proud of myself for staying strong, though. It would have been very easy to pull him out of the crib at 4 this morning and nurse him to sleep. But that would have set me back in the whole process. I know he's capable of sleeping through the night; I just have to convince him of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOK - my son didn't sleep thru night till 6 mos and turned out chronic ear fluid was the culprit - it made him uncomfr to sleep unless he had his pacifier (which at 6 mons he could reach) or sucking. Sometimes it isn't easy to figure out what is holdup till way later. GOOD LUCK
Jennie P