Thursday, February 12, 2009

In praise of good friends

I am, by nature, something of a recluse. I'm happiest at home in my nice, safe, predictable environment. But the last few weeks with sick kids have tested my Howard Hughes-like nature. Since last Thursday I have only left the house to take a child to the doctor and to go to the grocery store and pharmacy. I even did a three-day stretch where I didn't leave the house at all.

Last night I ran up to the corner drug store, with Elizabeth in tow, to get Valentine's cards for Campbell's party at preschool today. When I got back in the car, I just couldn't make myself go home, so I decided to go for a drive, knowing that Elizabeth would probably sleep the entire time. I turned on my 80s music playlist and headed for the freeway. After 20 minutes of driving, I accepted that I wasn't feeling any better.

I decided I needed to visit with a grown-up, someone other than my husband (no offense meant, B, but I needed a change). I pondered whom I could call and realized that it was bed, bath and story time for all of my friends who have little kids, so that narrowed my options. Then I had a stroke of inspiration and called my good friend O'Pine. He and his partner don't have small children, so I knew I wouldn't be interrupting any bedtime routines. Besides, O'Pine is always up for a visit.

So I staggered into his house and basically collapsed. And then I just started unloading on how hard this mother-of-four gig is and how I feel like I'm spread so thin that I can't do any one thing right and on and on and on. It felt so good to vent. He listened and offered suggestions and moral support and made me laugh, which was exactly what I needed.

O'Pine's partner S loves, loves, loves babies, so he held Elizabeth the whole time. She cooed and laughed at him, while O'Pine and I visited. The conversation eventually moved from my pity party to a debate on which Top Chef contestant was hotter - Stefan or Fabio - and a general consensus that Tom Collichio, Eric Ripert, and Anthony Bourdain were dreamy.

I left after about an hour and a half feeling so much better about myself and the world in general. It was a much needed break.

Thank you O'Pine and S for letting me crash at your house. You both did me a world of good. I am fortunate to have such good friends.

Happy Love Thursday.

Side note - if you do go to O'Pine's blog, keep in mind that he's not nearly as cranky as he seems. He just doesn't tolerate stupidity.

6 comments:

Seamus O'Pine said...

I AM TOO CRANKY!! I just have a soft spot for you, my dear! It was great to see you and the lovely Elizabeth. Drop by any time.

o'P

Cathy said...

looks like a fun blog to read! that's just awesome you got to take a break from the grind for a few hours. :)

Unknown said...

oh goodie a new blog. and a cranky one!

And good friends are the best huh? glad you got the break and recharge you needed

Anonymous said...

We all need it sometime. So glad you got that break.

Anonymous said...

I think it's very important to have a few "safe houses" mapped out, at varying distances. You might never need them, but when you do, you really do.

I'm glad you had one.

anymommy said...

Absolutely. I have a few friends that have saved my sanity and can turn my entire week around. Glad you have them too.