Tuesday, February 03, 2009

In the blink of an eye

Six years ago today, they placed this tiny bundle in my arms. It's hard to believe that she's gone from looking like this . . .
to looking like this.

Lily is absolutely my girly-girl. She's all about pink and princesses and sparkles. She loves her "ballelet" classes and any excuse to dress in something twirly.

When she was a toddler, she wasn't much for cuddling or snuggling, but now she's definitely the snuggliest of my kids - she loves hugs and kisses and sitting in my lap.

Lily was a very quiet baby. She didn't coo or talk much until she was almost 2, then a switch flipped, and we haven't been able to get her to be quiet since. She loves telling us very long, complicated stories about her day and her friends. She also loves making up plays and puppet shows, although those usually descend into pure silliness, with lots of costume changes.

Her birthday party on Saturday is going to be a Princess Tea Party. We've invited six little friends, and I'm getting out my grandmother's pink rosebud tea set for a real tea party. I'm going to serve heart- and dancer-shaped finger sandwiches and fruit. The girls are going to decorate their own tiaras and cupcakes. It should be lots of twirly, princessey fun.

Lily was so excited about her birthday that she couldn't sleep last night. She crawled onto B's lap at 11:00 p.m. and snuggled with him. He's such a sucker that he didn't make her go back to bed right away like I would have. I'm taking cupcakes to her class today, which Lily is just thrilled about.

So Happy Birthday Lily-bear. We love you bunches!

7 comments:

Shelly said...

Fun! I might have a princess tea party for myself this year!

Anonymous said...

Aww, happy birthday, kiddo! Somehow 6 feels like a REAL big kid... Five felt non-toddlerish, but six seemed very important, in our house. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

awww a princess party...makes me want a girl. I get to do Power rangers and army guys

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Lily! 6 is such an awesome age. I LOVE 6. 9 is killing me, but 6 ROCKS.

Cathy said...

She's beautiful! A princess party would be so fun! My oldest is going to be 7 and I can't believe it!

calicobebop said...

Cute baby girl! Happy Birthday!

Ann in NJ said...

Hey, my princess turned 11 today! No tea parties for her, though, she's not a girly girl. Although her favorite color IS pink.

Happy birthday to Lily and Rachel!