Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hope Thursday

Last night I tuned into the national news just in time to see Senator Clinton move to suspend the rules of the convention and nominate Barack Obama unanimously. The speech she gave was perfect, and the roar of the crowd when Speaker Pelosi asked for a second to the motion was overwhelming. But it was nothing to the roar when the speaker asked all those in favor to say "aye."

Now it could have been the pregnancy hormones, but I burst into tears and sat on the sofa and sobbed while ABC did a re-broadcast of the event. It was the first time I've been even a little bit hopeful about the outcome of this election.

I've been sure up until now that the Democrats, as is their wont, will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory through their bickering and infighting.

And I have cursed at those idiots carrying signs that say "Clinton for McCain" and "Party Unity My Ass" and "Country Before Party." Really? You think voting for McCain is the answer to Clinton's not getting nominated? You are in such a snit about the primaries that you are willing to throw your vote away on four more years of Bush-like rule?

But last night, watching the crowd at the convention and reading excerpts of the speeches and seeing clips on the news (I'll admit that I didn't watch the convention because I had a rare evening out with a friend), I actually allowed myself to hope that Barack Obama might just get elected after all.

It's been a long eight years since I've had any faith in our government and our political process. I just hope my new-found optimism lasts through to November.

Happy Hope Thursday.

1 comment:

t. Cooke said...

I, too, have been scared to get my hopes up. 2004 took the wind out of me.