Monday, May 21, 2007

Just a little pity party

When I first started running down on the Town Lake Trai, I'd see these packs of women go flying by and watch with envy. They were so fast and so cool. I never thought I'd be like them. Then I met Liz and Shelly and Holli and started running with them. In the beginning, I ran behind them more than I ran with them. They'd nicely wait for me at the top of the 35th street bridge at MoPac and at Shoal Creek Hospital while I straggled in, puffing along. Then one day it happened, I was running with them. We were blowing down Speedway, and we caught up with and passed by this guy who was just noodling along. As we ran past, he gave us sort of an awe-struck look, and it hit me that I was finally one of the runner chicks I had always watched go by.

Running with these women was a major part of my social structure. We'd run on Saturdays and then go for breakfast; we'd meet for track and hill workouts at least one evening a week. I loved the time I spent running and socializing with them.

After Ella was born, it took me a solid year to be able to run with the running chicks again. And just as I really started to get back in shape, I got pregnant with Lily. As before, it took me another year to get back into it. But for much of the two years after that, I ran three mornings a week with various groups of women and loved it. It was such a good way to start the day. And then I got pregnant with Campbell.

It's been more than a year since I've been able to run with my friends, and I really miss it. I miss the social aspect and the support. I feel like I've dropped off the face of the planet. This spring has just been lousy for running for me, and now we're heading into the summer, which is a rotten time to get back into shape.

I'm about at the point of finding something different to do, but I don't know what it would be. Nothing makes me feel as good as a solid run with friends.

I know I need to suck it up and be patient, but some days, today especially, it's hard.

No comments: