Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The girls

My friend Megan has a knack for asking me questions, via e-mail, that really get me thinking. I end up writing very long responses and afterwards decide that they'd make a good blog entry. So here's another one. She asked if, as I was watching Campbell grow and change, I was noticing changes in the girls as they get older.
****

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the three kids and how my relationships with each are so different, so I really do notice the changes in all of them. Ella is so OLD now that she's almost done with kindergarten. She's not as snuggly as she used to be, and when Brandon and I are joking around and being silly with her, she's more likely to give us the eye roll than she is to join in. But she is so much fun to just hang out with. We can have real conversations about things - like stuff at school and what books she's reading and why she likes them. We're really getting a feel for the person she's becoming

Lily has really turned into a little mother-hen in the last few months. I have to stop her from smothering Campbell on a regular basis. And I often hear Ella saying, "Lily, you're not the boss of me!" to her. I usually let them sort out their differences without much interference. Lily is also such a ham these days, usually without meaning to be. The other night at dinner, she propped her elbows on the table, folded her hands together, looked at all of us and asked, "So, how was your day today? What did you do today? Anything exciting?" Brandon and I just about fell out of our chairs laughing - we ask the girls that question at dinner all the time, and she nailed our tone perfectly.

As my parents commented about me and my sister, it's amazing that two such different people can come from the same parents. I look forward to seeing what Campbell is like. So far, he's just a happy, roly-poly little guy. But I'm sure that will change.

No comments: