Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Baby food wars

I'm just appalled by baby food right now. I can't find vegetables for the life of me, but there are shelves of desserts for babies. Why on earth would anyone feed an 8-month-old dessert??? It's no wonder there are so many fat kids in America; we're starting them on the sweet stuff almost at birth.

I've been fortunate with Ella and Lily - they both love vegetables and have since they were tiny. We started off feeding the baby food vegetables before they ever had fruit, and I think that has a lot to do with their current love of squash, carrots, peas and green beans. We even do the "Green Bean Dance" whenever we have them for dinner.

But I'm worried that Campbell won't develop the same love, just because I can't find vegetables for him to eat, other than sweet potatoes. He loves them and ends up eating them so often that I swear his nose is turning orange. But I can't find squash or carrots for the life of me. And it's not just at HEB that I have problems. Even Central Market, with its selection of organic baby foods, is woefully short on veggies. But I can buy any kind of fruit and pudding I want.

Campbell, like his sisters, won't have any kind of dessert or sweets until his first birthday, when I'll let him go nuts with cake and ice cream. But until then, I'd really like to be able to feed him more than one kind of vegetable.

No comments: