Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Running expectations

I'm really having to change my expectations for returning to running. My first goal of running a 5K six weeks after Campbell was born went out the window when I had the c-section. There was no way I was going to recover fast enough. Now I feel like I could go run, but I just can't find the time or energy. Campbell is just now sleeping for four or five hours at a stretch at night. Unfortunately, his long stretch usually starts at 7:00, which doesn't do me any good. And his sleep isn't consistent enough for me to leave him in the mornings to go run at 5:30 or 6:00. Brandon is great at handling the late shifts, but asking him to do anything that early in the morning is just pointless.

Part of my problem is that I'm pretty tough on myself about things like this. I look at other runner friends who have had c-sections and compare my recovery and running to theirs, and I don't measure up. I expect that I should be able to do what they did, and I get frustrated when I don't meet my own expectations. I have to remember that I'm the only one setting deadlines and I'm the only one keeping track of what I do or don't do running-wise. This is not a competition to see who can recover the fastest.

Running will always be there, and I'll get back to it someday soon when Campbell is sleeping more and I get more rest. I just need to ease up and cut myself some slack - which is easier said than done.

1 comment:

t. Cooke said...

I'm fat. FAT!! I stopped exercising about 5 months ago and, for some reason, it all hit me over the past week. I look horrible. I'm changing my ways. I'm going to starting running again, too. Of course, I didn't have a c-section, so it should be easier for me to start running.