Monday, November 06, 2006

Election Blues

Two years ago I had such high hopes in the days before the election, only to have them dashed. As I told two friends, it was so bad that not even Jon Stewart could make the outcome funny. In the two years since the election, things have just gotten worse - the nation is further in debt, the situation in Iraq has grown even more deadly, we've lost our good standing around the world, the envirionment's a wreck, New Orleans is gone, and our civil liberties have been eroded. Bush and company have come close to destroying our country and several others to boot.

I really want to believe that tomorrow's election will be better, that the Democrats will take control of at least the House. But I'm too afraid to get my hopes up. What worries me is that there are people in this country who still support Bush and think he's doing a good job. There may just enough of them out there to ruin things for us.

Closer to home, I'm sure we'll end up with another four years of Governor Perry barely leading the state. It was nice to think that Kinky Friedman could get elected - I signed the petition to get him on the ballot - but now it's obvious he'll be lucky to come in third. At least it's not likely that Carole Keaton McClellan Rylander Strayhorn will win. I couldn't take four years of listening to her screech and call herself "Grandma." Unfortunately, I don't think Bell can pull it off, and we'll continue to have a state entirely controlled by republicans.

Maybe I'll be happier at this time tomorrow night, but to quote Eeyore, "I doubt it."

1 comment:

t. Cooke said...

Dems seem to be happy tonight for winning the house. If that's the case, then they will own 1/2 of 1/3 of governmental body. Sad, really.