Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ready to Run

I'm struggling with getting back to running, not because of the running itself, but because I just can't seem to find the time. Who would have thought that having three kids would limit my activities?

This morning, Campbell woke up a little after five, so I fed him thinking he'd go back to sleep and I could go for a run. Wrong. The little monkey decided he wanted to play. So I hung out in the bed in his room, dozing while he ran in place next to me. I figured that he'd fall asleep at some point, so I decided that as long as I made it out the door by 6:20, I'd have time to run before the girls got up. Didn't work. Campbell fell asleep at 6:30, and Ella woke up at 6:40.

I got dressed for running, hoping Campbell would stay asleep after Ella headed off to school. I can leave Lily watching cartoons even if Brandon's still asleep. Unfortunately, Campbell woke up at 7:45. At 8:00, I took him in our room in his bouncy seat and plunked him next to the bed and told Brandon he was in charge. I headed out before Brandon could protest.

I had my first solid run so far. I'm still doing Gallow half-miles, but it's the first time I haven't been looking at my watch, waiting for my next walking break. I even ran past my four-minute mark twice. I ended up going longer than my goal of 20 minutes, and I finished with strides.

I've signed up for a 5k in three weeks, and this was the first time I've felt like it's possible I'll survive the race. Progress is being made!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are brave for just trying to "plan" some me-time. :) Three kiddos with three unpredictable schedules would make that challenging, to say the least. I'm glad you got out and had a solid run.