Just a quick post to let everyone know Ella and I survived our trip to Colorado. I have lots to write about, but I’m going to have to save it for another day because I have a work deadline this afternoon, mountains of laundry, and a kitchen floor that my feet keep sticking to.
Here are some highlights:
- Ella climbed really strong at a tough competition. There were a ton of very good climbers in her division, and she finally placed 6th in sport climbing after having to do two tie-breaker “super finals.” She also placed 3rd in speed climbing, so she has an invite to nationals in Atlanta in both events.
- The weather in Colorado was perfect the entire time. It rained the first day, but even that felt good after months of drought here.
- We drove the Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park and got to play in the snow. Ella declared it a most excellent day.
- On Sunday we drove over the Rockies to Rifle, which is on the western range. The drive was spectacular, if a bit long.
- Ella got to climb in the wild with six of the big kids from her team and the coach. The group is staying through the week, but Ella and I had to come home.
- Lily managed to get really, really sick while I was gone. There’s nothing like being thousands of miles from home and getting a call that your child is on her way to the ER. She’s on the mend now, and the doctors’ best guess is that she has mono, of all things.
Finally – I’ve been wanting someone to take a picture of me that I actually liked for a while now. I figured I’d have to bribe one of my photographer friends to do it. Instead, Ella managed to get a picture I love while goofing around with my camera at Boulder Falls.
I know my hair’s a wreck and I’m not wearing any make up and my nose is red from the cold, but I like the picture because I just look happy, which I was.