Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I’m home

Just a quick post to let everyone know Ella and I survived our trip to Colorado. I have lots to write about, but I’m going to have to save it for another day because I have a work deadline this afternoon, mountains of laundry, and a kitchen floor that my feet keep sticking to.

Here are some highlights:

  • Ella climbed really strong at a tough competition. There were a ton of very good climbers in her division, and she finally placed 6th in sport climbing after having to do two tie-breaker “super finals.” She also placed 3rd in speed climbing, so she has an invite to nationals in Atlanta in both events.
  • The weather in Colorado was perfect the entire time. It rained the first day, but even that felt good after months of drought here.
  • We drove the Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park and got to play in the snow. Ella declared it a most excellent day.
  • On Sunday we drove over the Rockies to Rifle, which is on the western range. The drive was spectacular, if a bit long.
  • Ella got to climb in the wild with six of the big kids from her team and the coach. The group is staying through the week, but Ella and I had to come home.
  • Lily managed to get really, really sick while I was gone. There’s nothing like being thousands of miles from home and getting a call that your child is on her way to the ER. She’s on the mend now, and the doctors’ best guess is that she has mono, of all things.

Finally – I’ve been wanting someone to take a picture of me that I actually liked for a while now. I figured I’d have to bribe one of my photographer friends to do it. Instead, Ella managed to get a picture I love while goofing around with my camera at Boulder Falls.

IMG_0679

I know my hair’s a wreck and I’m not wearing any make up and my nose is red from the cold, but I like the picture because I just look happy, which I was.

7 comments:

Shelly in Austin said...

I think you look lovely . . . and happy. It's a good look for you. Keep wearing it! Hope Lily is recovering, poor baby.

UltraMamaC said...

awesome trip, except for sick baby. and it's a great photo, really. Lovely and a memory captured that you and Ella will treasure for a long time.

And I'm not back to normal w my emotional roller coaster ride because this whole entry just brought me to tears!!

Unknown said...

yay for happy!

donna said...

Congrats to Ella....awesome climber and budding photographer. Love your photo too....you should print this one off and put it up on the refrigerator :-)

Anna Lefler said...

What a great photo - I love it! And I'm glad you had a lovely trip.

Thanks, btw, for your sweet congratulations comment on my blog - I truly appreciate that!

:-}) Anna

Becky said...

Welcome back and yes! Love the happiness.

Susan said...

You look a bit like one of my sisters! And happy - headache free I hope.