Friday, March 30, 2007

Cars

I don't consider myself a car person. Other than the convertible mini or new bug, there aren't many cars I drool over. I didn't own my first car until I was 25 - a little red Honda CRX dubbed the "vrt-vrt" (long story, don't ask). I totalled that car at five miles an hour in the rain and replaced it with a Honda prelude. It had no character to it, therefor it had no name. I've had other cars since, but none with names.

I currently drive a Hyundi Tucson, which I enjoy driving. It's up off the ground so I can see, but it still handles like a car. It's getting a little snug packing three kids into it, so last week when we got an offer from the dealership to buy the car back with a good trade-in allowance and cash back, I briefly considered getting a minivan. I pulled up the minivan on the dealer's Web site and just cringed. I can't help it, I don't like them. I don't like the look of them; I don't like the feel of them. I just can't do it. I told my neighbor I'd be depressed about the car every time I got in it. If Hyundai comes up with a car similar to the Honda Pilot, I'll consider a change. But for now I'll keep cramming everyone in.

I did have a treat last night, though. B's X5 (which I don't like driving as much as I do my car) is in the shop, so the BMW dealership gave him a two-seater convertible as a loaner. Oh my god! I now understand the allure of expensive sports cars. I drove it last night when Lisa R. and I went downtown for a reading of Spalding Gray's works (more on that in another post), and it was so much fun to drive. If we had $60,000 to blow on a car, I would seriously consider it.

I do come by my love of convertibles honestly. My parents have pretty much always had a convertible of some kind or another. When we lived in Sarasota my mom drove an MGB around town. She used to seatbelt me and my sister together into the front seat - a lapbelt, no less. How things have changed. When they moved to Atlanta, my parents got rid of the MGB and got a Miata instead. Every time I go to Atlanta I find an excuse to drive it.

Poor Brandon hasn't been able to drive the BMW with the top down yet. It's been raining for the past two days - except for the few hours when I had the car last night. He's hoping his car isn't ready until Monday so that he has the whole weekend to enjoy the roadster.

No comments: