Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Running, or lack thereof

Over in my little bio blurb, I list myself as a runner, but I haven't been writing about my running because I haven't been doing nearly enough of it. I don't feel like I can even call myself a runner these days.

After Elizabeth was born, I vowed to get back into shape during the winter so that I'd be able to just maintain in the heat of the summer. That resolution fell by the wayside pretty quickly. As did my goal of getting back into shape during the spring. And trying to start back to running during the summer is so miserable.

And now, here I am, 10 1/2 months after Elizabeth's birth, and I'm still not back in running shape. I've had lots of false starts and a few stretches where I've come close to feeling like a runner again. But something always seems to happen - I get sick, one of the kids gets sick, we go on a trip, Elizabeth goes on a non-sleeping jag - lather, rinse, repeat.

Since I needed something to get me motivated, I rounded up a team for the Zilker Relays, which is next Friday. Now, with team honor on the line, I really have to get my act together. No more excuses.

So far having the race as a motivating factor is working; I'm becoming more determined to get out there and run. I ran before sunrise on Monday, and today I forced myself out for a short run at 9:45 after I had gotten Elizabeth down for a nap.

I'm ready to call myself a runner again - almost.

5 comments:

Runner Dude said...

There is no trying
There is just doing
Yoda...

Shelly said...

It has been brutal this summer. I run about 5:45 and most mornings it is already 80 degrees. Which means I blow it off all too often!

@Runner Dude, sorry but "Much to learn you still have." I hate to give you a hard time because I totally agree with the sentiment, but my four year old is Star Wars crazy. "Do or do not. There is no try."

Barb Matijevich said...

Give yourself a break. Four kids. The hottest summer on record. But the next time you go for a run, hok? Just channel me for one mile. I miss running so much I DREAM about it --like some people have flying dreams. Just run for me because if I could, I would SO be on your team.

calicobebop said...

Ugh! If it's been half as hot there as it has been here you're probably better off not running! You'll give yourself a heat stroke!

Still, I understand where you're coming from. I wish you the best of luck!

Baino said...

I'm the great procrastinator. I don't run but used to enjoy a morning walk with my dog until our little 'route' was interrupted by new building works and I haven't got back into the swing of it. Now it's too cold in the mornings and soon it will be too hot in the evenings . . *sigh*