Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Poor Third Child

Poor Campbell. As the third child, he's suffering a bit of neglect, not from love or attention, though. I just have no idea what stage he's at or what he's supposed to be doing.

When Ella was a baby, I studied all the baby development books and watched carefully for all of the things she was supposed to be doing. I celebrated when she did things like track my finger or roll over early. I worried when she didn't do other things on the day the books said she was supposed to. With Lily, I didn't study because the information was still fresh. And I wasn't as neurotic about when she hit certain milestones.

But with Campbell, it's all gone out the window. I have no idea what he's supposed to be doing when, or when he's started doing things. Someone asked me the other day when he had started grabbing for toys, and I had no idea. This morning I noticed that he dropped a toy and then rolled onto his side to look for it. I don't know when he started doing that.

So poor Campbell. He'll ask me when he started rolling over, or when he sat up by himself, or when he started talking, and I'll have no idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While it's still fresh in your mind, maybe you should go take a bunch of pictures of Campbell so that his stash of baby pictures doesn't fall too short of that of Ella's or Lily's. :)