Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

I am still reeling about the explosions at the Boston Marathon yesterday. I know others have and will continue to write much more eloquently than I could ever hope to. But, still, here I am writing.

As I do every year, I watched the marathon online. It was a perfect day for the race, and I ignored my writing deadlines to spectate. I got all misty eyed watching the runners cross the finish. Having finished marathons, I know the feelings of joy and accomplishment and exhaustion the runners were experiencing. I will never be fast enough to qualify for Boston, but I can still celebrate with those who are. 

I turned off the feed after a while and got back to work. Two hours later I went back on line and was shocked at what was in my Twitter feed. It was incomprehensible. This is the Boston Marathon. Bombs don't go off at the Boston Marathon. Who blows up a marathon?

I ignored my work for the rest of the afternoon and watched for updates from running friends who had been there. At long last, everyone reported in. One friend was walking up Boylston Street to meet her husband at the finish. She was yards away when the first explosion went off. Fortunately, her physical injuries are limited to cuts from flying glass and ringing in her ears.

For more than 20 years, running has been a huge part of my life, part of who I am at my very core. When things aren't good, I go running. When things are good, I go running. I've met some of my best friends through running. I've run countless races and worked as a volunteer at dozens. This year I volunteered at the finish line of the Austin Marathon. Training for and running the New York City Marathon was one of the best experiences of my life.

And this is where I lapse into incoherent rambling.

I don't know what to do or what to say. So this morning I put on my NYC Finisher's shirt, laced up my shoes and did what I know how to do - I went running. 

6 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

Love you, Heather. It was exactly the right response.

donna said...

It's impossible to understand but getting out there and running helps.

Ann in NJ said...

Best thing you could have done.

Susan said...

So hard when these things touch us so deeply. Glad you have your outlet in place. Hope there are many more good runs for you as you are resolving your grief.

Krlenen said...

What an inspirational post! Honestly, that last line gave me chills. We Americans are resilient above all else aren't we? Great blog and I will be coming back!

Jessica Scott
jessicaslife81.blogspot.com

ckh said...

I thought of you as soon as I heard. I knew you would take it hard and I'm glad you weren't running in that one. It's hard to believe this happened - it's so horrible.