Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Roller Grrrllllzzzz

Brandon, believe it or not, suggested the plan of going roller skating this weekend. One of the realtors in his office invited us to join him, his girlfriend, and his son, and Brandon actually accepted. I almost died from shock.

The girls had so much fun. It took Ella once around the rink holding our hands before she was off on her own. By the end of the hour, she could go all the way around without falling down. Lily went from clinging to us and having her feet go twelve different directions to holding Brandon's hand and making forward progress. They both loved skating, and when we left they were begging to go back.

For me, it was a real blast from the past. I can't even begin to count the number of afternoons I spent at the roller rink in Sarasota. I loved going to skate. The roller rink we went to on Saturday looked just like the one I went to growing up - dingy carpet-covered benches, video games, neon lights, a disco ball. The skates were even the same after all these years.

I had to laugh at one point - a little boy from one of the kindergarten classes was there with his big sister and her friends, and they were teasing him about Ella. They kept calling Ella over to him and then saying, "Ella, he likes you. Do you like him????" and then collapsing in gales of laughter. Ella and the little boy had no idea what was going on or why it was so funny to the girls that they kept saying yes. It's just shades of what's to come, I'm afraid.

I promised Ella that I'd take her, Lily and one of her friends back to skate this summer. I want to leave Campbell behind so that I can actually have a chance to skate.

No comments: