Monday, November 16, 2009

The Landry Team

A few weeks ago, Ella and Lily (mostly Ella) came up with their own "landry" business. I found Burma Shave-esque signs all over the house - on the back of Elizabeth's high chair, on the door to the garage, on my computer monitor - advertising their services.

I thought the signs were pretty funny, even if the girls didn't understand why. Here are some samples (sic all):

A landry free day is your dream! Come to room RR now! (room RR was the girls' bathroom)

Room RR at your service!

Moms! Hate doing landry? Come to room RR!

You deserv a day of rest. Come to room RR.

Contact the Landry Team at ella@xxxxx.com (except it was Ella's real e-mail address)

I submitted a few orders for laundry, via e-mail, and Ella replied in a very business-like fashion, giving me her rates: 50 cents per load for wash and fold, 25 cents for fold only. Once we'd negotiated my order and their prices, they set to work folding one basket of laundry that was already in the dryer and getting two new loads going.

And that was where it stopped.

They left one load in the dryer and one in the washer, and I couldn't get them to do any more, not even with the promise of higher pay.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend, and she and her daughter were folding laundry together. When I lamented the fact that I just can't get my girls to do laundry, she pointed out that she can't her daughter to clean up the kitchen after dinner, which my girls do every evening after dinner.

I suppose I can handle laundry for a bit longer without their help if it means I don't have to clean up the dinner dishes. But at some point soon, the Landry Team will be called back into service.

****
On another note, it's Day 16 of Nablopomo, and I can't believe I've made it this far. There have been a few close calls where I've dragged myself out of bed to post something. I'm more than half-way there, and I hope I can keep it up.

4 comments:

Cookie said...

That is funny about the laundry. I have one son who loves to help fold clothes and another who will avoid the laundry at all costs.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

I can't get my kids to do much. Though, my son vaccums the stairs for me, which I am truly grateful for. That job sucks!

Shelly said...

Love hearing from you every day! Keep it up if you can stand it!

I am going to start my son on laundry duty as of this weekend. How did this not occur to me sooner?

Becca said...

thats funny about the signs, too bad they didn't bite at the raise